Roast Chicken Dal
A dal is traditionally a lentil side, often the accompaniment for curry. Here, combined with roast chicken (or rotisserie chicken), it moves from the side of the plate to its center for a quick lunch or an easy weeknight dinner.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 15-ounce can lentils, rinsed, or 2 cups cooked lentils (see Tip)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, skin discarded, meat removed from bones and diced (4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, until combined with the onion and intensely aromatic, 20 to 30 seconds. Stir in lentils, tomatoes, chicken and salt and cook, stirring often, until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in yogurt. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To cook lentils: Place in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 20 minutes for green lentils and 30 minutes for brown. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Per serving: 345 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 10 g fiber; 361 mg sodium; 686 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (48% daily value), Iron (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 5 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation