From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Turn leftover risotto into crispy risotto cakes with this easy recipe. Serve with marinara sauce and a big salad for a fast dinner or with poached eggs on top for brunch.
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups cold leftover risotto
- 1 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tip), divided
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
You Might Also Like
- Beat egg in a large bowl; stir in risotto and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Place the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Form the risotto mixture into eight 21/2-inch cakes (using about 1/4 cup for each cake) and dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, add 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium heat. Add the cakes and cook until browned on the first side, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn the cakes over, add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and swirl the pan to coat the undersides of the cakes. Cook, reducing the heat if necessary, until browned on the second side, 2 to 4 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make your own breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
Per serving (with Basic Risotto): 303 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 59 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 199 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2011