From EatingWell: January/February 2011
Turn leftover risotto into crispy risotto cakes with this easy recipe. Serve with marinara sauce and a big salad for a fast dinner or with poached eggs on top for brunch.
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups cold leftover risotto
- 1 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tip), divided
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
You Might Also Like
- Beat egg in a large bowl; stir in risotto and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Place the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Form the risotto mixture into eight 21/2-inch cakes (using about 1/4 cup for each cake) and dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, add 1 teaspoon oil and heat over medium heat. Add the cakes and cook until browned on the first side, 2 to 4 minutes. Turn the cakes over, add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and swirl the pan to coat the undersides of the cakes. Cook, reducing the heat if necessary, until browned on the second side, 2 to 4 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make your own breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs. For store-bought coarse dry breadcrumbs we like Ian’s brand, labeled “Panko breadcrumbs.” Find them at well-stocked supermarkets.
Per serving (with Basic Risotto): 303 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 59 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 515 mg sodium; 199 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2011