Rigatoni with Beef & Eggplant Ragu
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Eggplant gives this pasta sauce a rich meatiness that complements the ground beef. Plus the eggplant allows us to use a little less beef but still have a generous and hearty serving.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni, rotini or penne
- 8 ounces 92%-lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 cups diced eggplant, (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, garlic and fennel seeds in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the beef is browned, about 3 minutes. Add eggplant and oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant browns, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the sauce (Step 2); cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To toast pine nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 399 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 345 mg sodium; 788 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- April/May 2006