Rigatoni with Beef & Eggplant Ragu
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Eggplant gives this pasta sauce a rich meatiness that complements the ground beef. Plus the eggplant allows us to use a little less beef but still have a generous and hearty serving.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni, rotini or penne
- 8 ounces 92%-lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 cups diced eggplant, (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, garlic and fennel seeds in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the beef is browned, about 3 minutes. Add eggplant and oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant browns, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the sauce (Step 2); cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To toast pine nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 399 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 345 mg sodium; 788 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- April/May 2006