Rigatoni with Beef & Eggplant Ragu
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Eggplant gives this pasta sauce a rich meatiness that complements the ground beef. Plus the eggplant allows us to use a little less beef but still have a generous and hearty serving.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni, rotini or penne
- 8 ounces 92%-lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 cups diced eggplant, (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, garlic and fennel seeds in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the beef is browned, about 3 minutes. Add eggplant and oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant browns, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the sauce (Step 2); cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To toast pine nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 399 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 345 mg sodium; 788 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- April/May 2006