Rigatoni with Beef & Eggplant Ragu
From EatingWell: April/May 2006
Eggplant gives this pasta sauce a rich meatiness that complements the ground beef. Plus the eggplant allows us to use a little less beef but still have a generous and hearty serving.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rigatoni, rotini or penne
- 8 ounces 92%-lean ground beef
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 3 cups diced eggplant, (about 1/2 medium)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook beef, garlic and fennel seeds in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until the beef is browned, about 3 minutes. Add eggplant and oil; cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant browns, about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and wine; cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the sauce (Step 2); cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tip: To toast pine nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 399 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 30 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 11 g fiber; 345 mg sodium; 788 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Iron (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Everyday favorites
- April/May 2006