Rich Crab Dip
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
In our healthier version of this ultra-rich dip, the crabmeat plays a starring role while a blend of pureed nonfat cottage cheese and reduced-fat cream cheese provides all the creaminess you would expect. Serve with slices of whole-grain baguette.
- 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces crabmeat, any shells or cartilage removed, drained and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place cottage cheese in a fine-mesh sieve and press on it to remove excess moisture. Transfer the cottage cheese to a food processor or blender; add cream cheese and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan and add garlic, pepper, Worcestershire, Old Bay and cayenne. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until warm, 2 to 3 minutes. Add crab and lemon juice; stir well. Heat until warm, 30 to 40 seconds. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 48 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 86 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1993