Rich Crab Dip
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
In our healthier version of this ultra-rich dip, the crabmeat plays a starring role while a blend of pureed nonfat cottage cheese and reduced-fat cream cheese provides all the creaminess you would expect. Serve with slices of whole-grain baguette.
- 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces crabmeat, any shells or cartilage removed, drained and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place cottage cheese in a fine-mesh sieve and press on it to remove excess moisture. Transfer the cottage cheese to a food processor or blender; add cream cheese and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan and add garlic, pepper, Worcestershire, Old Bay and cayenne. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until warm, 2 to 3 minutes. Add crab and lemon juice; stir well. Heat until warm, 30 to 40 seconds. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 48 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 86 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Type of Dish
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1993