Rich Crab Dip
From EatingWell: November/December 1993
In our healthier version of this ultra-rich dip, the crabmeat plays a starring role while a blend of pureed nonfat cottage cheese and reduced-fat cream cheese provides all the creaminess you would expect. Serve with slices of whole-grain baguette.
- 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces crabmeat, any shells or cartilage removed, drained and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place cottage cheese in a fine-mesh sieve and press on it to remove excess moisture. Transfer the cottage cheese to a food processor or blender; add cream cheese and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan and add garlic, pepper, Worcestershire, Old Bay and cayenne. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until warm, 2 to 3 minutes. Add crab and lemon juice; stir well. Heat until warm, 30 to 40 seconds. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 48 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 21 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 0 g fiber; 99 mg sodium; 86 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 1993