Rich Chocolate Sauce
Perfect for topping ice cream, this is a great standby, all-purpose chocolate sauce. Or simply set out a bowl of the sauce and dip pound cake, strawberries or other fruit into it.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine milk, sugar, cocoa and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat, add chocolate and vanilla and stir until the chocolate melts. Serve warm or let stand 10 minutes for a thicker sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Reheat in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often.
Per tablespoon: 34 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)