Rich Chocolate Sauce
Perfect for topping ice cream, this is a great standby, all-purpose chocolate sauce. Or simply set out a bowl of the sauce and dip pound cake, strawberries or other fruit into it.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine milk, sugar, cocoa and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat, add chocolate and vanilla and stir until the chocolate melts. Serve warm or let stand 10 minutes for a thicker sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Reheat in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often.
Per tablespoon: 34 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- 8 or more
- Valentine's Day