Rich Chocolate Sauce
Perfect for topping ice cream, this is a great standby, all-purpose chocolate sauce. Or simply set out a bowl of the sauce and dip pound cake, strawberries or other fruit into it.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine milk, sugar, cocoa and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat, add chocolate and vanilla and stir until the chocolate melts. Serve warm or let stand 10 minutes for a thicker sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Reheat in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often.
Per tablespoon: 34 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- 8 or more
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation