Rich Chocolate Sauce
Perfect for topping ice cream, this is a great standby, all-purpose chocolate sauce. Or simply set out a bowl of the sauce and dip pound cake, strawberries or other fruit into it.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine milk, sugar, cocoa and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat, add chocolate and vanilla and stir until the chocolate melts. Serve warm or let stand 10 minutes for a thicker sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Reheat in a saucepan over low heat, stirring often.
Per tablespoon: 34 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 25 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- 8 or more
- Valentine's Day