Rice Salad Arlecchino
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
The bright, playful colors of this easy salad are reminiscent of Harlequin's costume.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups converted white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add rice and salt, lower heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 17 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Combine rice, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, capers and parsley in a large bowl, toss gently to blend.
- Combine vinegar, water, mustard and anchovy paste in a small bowl; slowly whisk in oil. Pour over the rice salad and toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 241 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Folate (50% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1995