Rice Salad Arlecchino
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
The bright, playful colors of this easy salad are reminiscent of Harlequin's costume.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups converted white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add rice and salt, lower heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 17 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Combine rice, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, capers and parsley in a large bowl, toss gently to blend.
- Combine vinegar, water, mustard and anchovy paste in a small bowl; slowly whisk in oil. Pour over the rice salad and toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 241 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Folate (50% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1995