Rice Salad Arlecchino
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
The bright, playful colors of this easy salad are reminiscent of Harlequin's costume.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups converted white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add rice and salt, lower heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 17 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Combine rice, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, capers and parsley in a large bowl, toss gently to blend.
- Combine vinegar, water, mustard and anchovy paste in a small bowl; slowly whisk in oil. Pour over the rice salad and toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 241 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Folate (50% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1995