Rice Salad Arlecchino
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
The bright, playful colors of this easy salad are reminiscent of Harlequin's costume.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups converted white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add rice and salt, lower heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 17 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Combine rice, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, capers and parsley in a large bowl, toss gently to blend.
- Combine vinegar, water, mustard and anchovy paste in a small bowl; slowly whisk in oil. Pour over the rice salad and toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 241 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Folate (50% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1995