Rice Salad Arlecchino
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
The bright, playful colors of this easy salad are reminiscent of Harlequin's costume.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups converted white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, shredded (1 cup)
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add rice and salt, lower heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 17 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Combine rice, carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, capers and parsley in a large bowl, toss gently to blend.
- Combine vinegar, water, mustard and anchovy paste in a small bowl; slowly whisk in oil. Pour over the rice salad and toss to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 241 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 657 mg sodium; 287 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (80% daily value), Folate (50% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1995