Rice Pudding with Dried Fruits
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Arborio rice, available in most large supermarkets, makes an especially creamy version of this rice pudding. Use your favorite combination of dried fruits for the cranberries and apricots if you wish.
- 1/2 cup medium-grain rice, preferably arborio
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring often, until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat as stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover the pan and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve. Microwave Variation:
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a 3-quart or larger casserole dish. Gradually stir in milk. Cover with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High until the mixture is simmering, about 5 minutes. Stir, cover and microwave on Medium until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 30 minutes. Stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Spoon into individual bowls and top with freshly grated nutmeg.
Per serving: 218 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995