Rice Pudding with Dried Fruits
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Arborio rice, available in most large supermarkets, makes an especially creamy version of this rice pudding. Use your favorite combination of dried fruits for the cranberries and apricots if you wish.
- 1/2 cup medium-grain rice, preferably arborio
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring often, until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat as stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover the pan and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve. Microwave Variation:
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a 3-quart or larger casserole dish. Gradually stir in milk. Cover with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High until the mixture is simmering, about 5 minutes. Stir, cover and microwave on Medium until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 30 minutes. Stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Spoon into individual bowls and top with freshly grated nutmeg.
Per serving: 218 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995