Rice Pudding with Dried Fruits
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Arborio rice, available in most large supermarkets, makes an especially creamy version of this rice pudding. Use your favorite combination of dried fruits for the cranberries and apricots if you wish.
- 1/2 cup medium-grain rice, preferably arborio
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring often, until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat as stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover the pan and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve. Microwave Variation:
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a 3-quart or larger casserole dish. Gradually stir in milk. Cover with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High until the mixture is simmering, about 5 minutes. Stir, cover and microwave on Medium until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 30 minutes. Stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Spoon into individual bowls and top with freshly grated nutmeg.
Per serving: 218 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995