Rice Pudding with Dried Fruits
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Arborio rice, available in most large supermarkets, makes an especially creamy version of this rice pudding. Use your favorite combination of dried fruits for the cranberries and apricots if you wish.
- 1/2 cup medium-grain rice, preferably arborio
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring often, until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat as stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover the pan and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve. Microwave Variation:
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a 3-quart or larger casserole dish. Gradually stir in milk. Cover with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High until the mixture is simmering, about 5 minutes. Stir, cover and microwave on Medium until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 30 minutes. Stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Spoon into individual bowls and top with freshly grated nutmeg.
Per serving: 218 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995