Rice Pudding with Dried Fruits
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Arborio rice, available in most large supermarkets, makes an especially creamy version of this rice pudding. Use your favorite combination of dried fruits for the cranberries and apricots if you wish.
- 1/2 cup medium-grain rice, preferably arborio
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, or raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a simmer over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, stirring often, until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat as stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover the pan and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve. Microwave Variation:
- Combine rice, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a 3-quart or larger casserole dish. Gradually stir in milk. Cover with a lid or vented plastic wrap and microwave on High until the mixture is simmering, about 5 minutes. Stir, cover and microwave on Medium until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, about 30 minutes. Stir in cranberries (or raisins), apricots and vanilla. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Spoon into individual bowls and top with freshly grated nutmeg.
Per serving: 218 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 115 mg sodium; 98 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (18% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 reduced-fat milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995