Rice Pudding with Dried Fruit
From EatingWell: September 1998
A perfect use for leftover cooked rice, this creamy pudding is infused with fragrant lemon zest and cinnamon.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup dried fruit, (raisins, cranberries, cherries or chopped apricots)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1-by-3-inch strip lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine rice, milk, dried fruit, sugar, cinnamon stick and one 1-by-3-inch strip of lemon zest in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring, over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until thick and creamy, about 25 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Cool, stirring occasionally. Remove cinnamon stick and lemon zest. Serve warm or cold.
Per serving: 250 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 67 mg sodium; 157 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (17% daily value), Calcium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)