Made with nonfat milk, this comforting rice pudding (delicious for breakfast, too) has a lovely creamy consistency because Italian arborio rice is used.
- 3 cups nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Ground cinnamon, for dusting (optional)
- Combine milk, rice, raisins and sugar in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, until the rice is tender and the pudding is creamy, 20 to 25 minutes. (Stir almost constantly towards the end to prevent scorching.)
- Stir in lemon zest, vanilla and salt and pour the pudding into a serving bowl or individual bowls. Let cool slightly. Serve warm or chilled, dusted with cinnamon, if desired.
Per serving: 192 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 133 mg sodium; 399 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 nonfat milk, 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less