From EatingWell: September 1998
Bypass plain rice boredom by adding a little chopped onion and cooking the rice in chicken broth. If you have any fresh herbs kicking around the kitchen, stir some in before serving.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover tightly and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender and water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. (Don’t peek.) Fluff with a fork, cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Per serving: 212 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 78 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (22% daily value), Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)