Rice & Okra
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
In this dish, one of the myriad Creole variations on white rice, the okra is steamed, not boiled, and has none of the gummy properties for which it is known. Frozen okra may be substituted. Partially thaw it before slicing and add it directly to the boiled rice in the colander before steaming. There is no need to brown it.
- 8 ounces okra, preferably fresh (choose young pods the size of little fingers)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced Scotch Bonnet pepper, with seeds, or 1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice, (1 pound)
- Wash okra, cut off ends and cut it into wheels.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and lightly brown okra for 3 minutes.
- Add water, scallions, parsley, thyme, garlic, Scotch Bonnet pepper or jalapeño and salt to the pot, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Add rice and boil gently, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the rice, place it in a large sieve or colander over a pot of boiling water, cover and steam for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a serving bowl, taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 319 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 399 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (64% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1991