Rice & Okra
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
In this dish, one of the myriad Creole variations on white rice, the okra is steamed, not boiled, and has none of the gummy properties for which it is known. Frozen okra may be substituted. Partially thaw it before slicing and add it directly to the boiled rice in the colander before steaming. There is no need to brown it.
- 8 ounces okra, preferably fresh (choose young pods the size of little fingers)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced Scotch Bonnet pepper, with seeds, or 1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice, (1 pound)
- Wash okra, cut off ends and cut it into wheels.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and lightly brown okra for 3 minutes.
- Add water, scallions, parsley, thyme, garlic, Scotch Bonnet pepper or jalapeño and salt to the pot, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Add rice and boil gently, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the rice, place it in a large sieve or colander over a pot of boiling water, cover and steam for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a serving bowl, taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 319 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 399 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (64% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1991