Rice & Okra
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
In this dish, one of the myriad Creole variations on white rice, the okra is steamed, not boiled, and has none of the gummy properties for which it is known. Frozen okra may be substituted. Partially thaw it before slicing and add it directly to the boiled rice in the colander before steaming. There is no need to brown it.
- 8 ounces okra, preferably fresh (choose young pods the size of little fingers)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced Scotch Bonnet pepper, with seeds, or 1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice, (1 pound)
- Wash okra, cut off ends and cut it into wheels.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and lightly brown okra for 3 minutes.
- Add water, scallions, parsley, thyme, garlic, Scotch Bonnet pepper or jalapeño and salt to the pot, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Add rice and boil gently, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the rice, place it in a large sieve or colander over a pot of boiling water, cover and steam for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a serving bowl, taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 319 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 399 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (64% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1991