Rice & Okra
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
In this dish, one of the myriad Creole variations on white rice, the okra is steamed, not boiled, and has none of the gummy properties for which it is known. Frozen okra may be substituted. Partially thaw it before slicing and add it directly to the boiled rice in the colander before steaming. There is no need to brown it.
- 8 ounces okra, preferably fresh (choose young pods the size of little fingers)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced Scotch Bonnet pepper, with seeds, or 1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice, (1 pound)
- Wash okra, cut off ends and cut it into wheels.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and lightly brown okra for 3 minutes.
- Add water, scallions, parsley, thyme, garlic, Scotch Bonnet pepper or jalapeño and salt to the pot, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Add rice and boil gently, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the rice, place it in a large sieve or colander over a pot of boiling water, cover and steam for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a serving bowl, taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 319 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 399 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (64% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1991