Rice & Okra
From EatingWell: January/February 1991
In this dish, one of the myriad Creole variations on white rice, the okra is steamed, not boiled, and has none of the gummy properties for which it is known. Frozen okra may be substituted. Partially thaw it before slicing and add it directly to the boiled rice in the colander before steaming. There is no need to brown it.
- 8 ounces okra, preferably fresh (choose young pods the size of little fingers)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced Scotch Bonnet pepper, with seeds, or 1 1/2 tablespoons jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/3 cups uncooked long-grain rice, (1 pound)
- Wash okra, cut off ends and cut it into wheels.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat and lightly brown okra for 3 minutes.
- Add water, scallions, parsley, thyme, garlic, Scotch Bonnet pepper or jalapeño and salt to the pot, bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Add rice and boil gently, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain the rice, place it in a large sieve or colander over a pot of boiling water, cover and steam for 5 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a serving bowl, taste and adjust seasonings.
Per serving: 319 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 399 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (64% daily value), Selenium (24% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv), Iron (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- January/February 1991