From EatingWell: November/December 1992
A delicious accompaniment to roast meat or vegetables.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup fine egg noodles, broken up
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add noodles and cook, stirring constantly, until the noodles are golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed and the rice and noodles are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 196 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 146 mg sodium; 54 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 1992
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)