Rice & Lentil Salad
From EatingWell: September/October 2009
A simple dressing of sherry vinegar, Dijon mustard and paprika flavors this rice and lentil salad. It's a great way to use up leftovers.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoked
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 15-ounce can lentils, rinsed, or 11/3 cups cooked lentils
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add rice, lentils, carrot and parsley; stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per serving: 250 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 272 mg sodium; 151 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Folate (42% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2009
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)