Rice, Cheddar & Spinach Pie
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This rice, spinach and Cheddar pie is a cinch to prepare—especially if you have leftover cooked rice. If you don’t, follow package directions for 4 servings to get about 3 cups cooked rice. Serve with steamed artichokes with light mayo mixed with lemon for dipping.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups cooked instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 cup diced extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Generously coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and spinach; cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Transfer to a large bowl. Add rice, cheese, pepper and salt to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Stir into the spinach-rice mixture. Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake the pie until lightly browned in spots, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Per serving: 340 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 144 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 309 mg sodium; 300 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (119% daily value), Calcium & Folate (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- March/April 2012