Rice, Cheddar & Spinach Pie
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
This rice, spinach and Cheddar pie is a cinch to prepare—especially if you have leftover cooked rice. If you don’t, follow package directions for 4 servings to get about 3 cups cooked rice. Serve with steamed artichokes with light mayo mixed with lemon for dipping.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups cooked instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 cup diced extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Generously coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and spinach; cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Transfer to a large bowl. Add rice, cheese, pepper and salt to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Whisk eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Stir into the spinach-rice mixture. Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake the pie until lightly browned in spots, about 25 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.
Per serving: 340 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 144 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 309 mg sodium; 300 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (119% daily value), Calcium & Folate (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- March/April 2012