Rice, Carrot, Mushroom & Pecan Burgers
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Meaty mushrooms and crunchy pecans make this a satisfying vegetarian burger. Make it a meal: Serve on a whole-wheat bun or toasted country bread with Spinach Salad with Black Olive Vinaigrette.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (8-10 mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted (2 ounces)
- 1 cup cooked rice, preferably brown basmati rice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the broiler. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until they are slightly soft, about 3 more minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Coarsely chop pecans in a food processor (not a blender). Add rice, carrots and the sautéed onion mixture. Pulse a few times until the mixture has a mealy consistency and transfer it to a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in egg.
- Shape the mixture into 6 patties. Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet. Broil, about 6 inches from the heat, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 198 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1995