Rice, Carrot, Mushroom & Pecan Burgers
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Meaty mushrooms and crunchy pecans make this a satisfying vegetarian burger. Make it a meal: Serve on a whole-wheat bun or toasted country bread with Spinach Salad with Black Olive Vinaigrette.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (8-10 mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted (2 ounces)
- 1 cup cooked rice, preferably brown basmati rice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the broiler. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until they are slightly soft, about 3 more minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Coarsely chop pecans in a food processor (not a blender). Add rice, carrots and the sautéed onion mixture. Pulse a few times until the mixture has a mealy consistency and transfer it to a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in egg.
- Shape the mixture into 6 patties. Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet. Broil, about 6 inches from the heat, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 198 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1995