Rice, Carrot, Mushroom & Pecan Burgers
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Meaty mushrooms and crunchy pecans make this a satisfying vegetarian burger. Make it a meal: Serve on a whole-wheat bun or toasted country bread with Spinach Salad with Black Olive Vinaigrette.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (8-10 mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted (2 ounces)
- 1 cup cooked rice, preferably brown basmati rice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the broiler. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until they are slightly soft, about 3 more minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Coarsely chop pecans in a food processor (not a blender). Add rice, carrots and the sautéed onion mixture. Pulse a few times until the mixture has a mealy consistency and transfer it to a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in egg.
- Shape the mixture into 6 patties. Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet. Broil, about 6 inches from the heat, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 198 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1995