Rice, Carrot, Mushroom & Pecan Burgers
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Meaty mushrooms and crunchy pecans make this a satisfying vegetarian burger. Make it a meal: Serve on a whole-wheat bun or toasted country bread with Spinach Salad with Black Olive Vinaigrette.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped (1 tablespoon)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (8-10 mushrooms)
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted (2 ounces)
- 1 cup cooked rice, preferably brown basmati rice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the broiler. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat it with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until they are slightly soft, about 3 more minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Coarsely chop pecans in a food processor (not a blender). Add rice, carrots and the sautéed onion mixture. Pulse a few times until the mixture has a mealy consistency and transfer it to a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne. Stir in egg.
- Shape the mixture into 6 patties. Place the patties on the prepared baking sheet. Broil, about 6 inches from the heat, until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 198 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 302 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Selenium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 1995