Rhubarb-Strawberry Summer Pudding
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Summer puddings are excellent hot-weather desserts because they do not require baking. This one pairs springs dynamic duo of rhubarb and strawberries.
- 12 ounces rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 21 slices thin-sliced white bread, (such as Pepperidge Farm), crusts trimmed
- Red currants, strawberries or mint leaves for garnish
- Stir together rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and lemon zest in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat for 3 minutes.
- For each of six 3/4-cup-capacity ramekins or custard cups, cut a circle of bread the same diameter as the bottom of the ramekin. Place a bread circle in the bottom of each ramekin. Cut 9 slices of the bread in half lengthwise and fit the strips horizontally around the inside of each ramekin, using 2 1/2 or 3 strips for each one and trimming to fit. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the rhubarb mixture into each of the lined ramekins, filling them to the top. Cut circles from the remaining bread slices to fit the tops of the ramekins; place over the fruit. Wrap each pudding in plastic and set three of them on a plate. Stack the other three puddings on top of them. Set something small, round and heavy on top of each pudding stack to weigh it down. Refrigerate overnight.
- To serve, remove weights and unwrap the ramekins. Run a small knife around the inside edge of each one and invert onto dessert plates. Garnish with red currants, strawberries or mint.
Per serving: 309 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 71 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 304 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 5
Exchanges: 5 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
Crock pots aren’t just for stewing big hunks of meat: you can...
Bust out of your lunch rut with our pack-and-go healthy lunch...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1994