Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Serve this quick and easy strawberry-rhubarb crumble warm, topped with a scoop of nonfat frozen yogurt.
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cranberry or apple juice
- To make filling: Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss together rhubarb, strawberries, granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish or deep-dish 9-inch pie plate, pressing down on the fruit to form an even layer.
- To make crumble topping: Combine oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, butter and oil in a bowl; work the ingredients together with a fork or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the cranberry (or apple) juice until the mixture is evenly moistened.
- Distribute the topping mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
Per serving: 279 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995