Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Serve this quick and easy strawberry-rhubarb crumble warm, topped with a scoop of nonfat frozen yogurt.
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cranberry or apple juice
- To make filling: Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss together rhubarb, strawberries, granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish or deep-dish 9-inch pie plate, pressing down on the fruit to form an even layer.
- To make crumble topping: Combine oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, butter and oil in a bowl; work the ingredients together with a fork or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the cranberry (or apple) juice until the mixture is evenly moistened.
- Distribute the topping mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
Per serving: 279 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995