Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Serve this quick and easy strawberry-rhubarb crumble warm, topped with a scoop of nonfat frozen yogurt.
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cranberry or apple juice
- To make filling: Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss together rhubarb, strawberries, granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish or deep-dish 9-inch pie plate, pressing down on the fruit to form an even layer.
- To make crumble topping: Combine oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, butter and oil in a bowl; work the ingredients together with a fork or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the cranberry (or apple) juice until the mixture is evenly moistened.
- Distribute the topping mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
Per serving: 279 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1995