Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Serve this quick and easy strawberry-rhubarb crumble warm, topped with a scoop of nonfat frozen yogurt.
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cranberry or apple juice
- To make filling: Preheat oven to 375°F. Toss together rhubarb, strawberries, granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons flour in a large bowl. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish or deep-dish 9-inch pie plate, pressing down on the fruit to form an even layer.
- To make crumble topping: Combine oats, 1/2 cup flour, brown sugar, butter and oil in a bowl; work the ingredients together with a fork or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the cranberry (or apple) juice until the mixture is evenly moistened.
- Distribute the topping mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
Per serving: 279 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 4 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- March/April 1995