From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Orange zest and crystallized ginger add balance to this tangy rhubarb jam.
- 2 1/4 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Combine rhubarb, sugar and orange zest in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Strain liquid from the rhubarb mixture into a large heavy saucepan, pressing on the solids to release all the juice. Set the rhubarb aside. Bring the liquid to a boil and cook over medium heat until syrupy and reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes, watching closely toward the end to prevent scorching. Add the reserved rhubarb and crystallized ginger and cook, stirring, until the rhubarb is soft and the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling-water bath for 10 minutes. (Alternatively, if you do not want to process the jam in a boiling-water bath, you can simply store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.)
Per tablespoon: 45 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)