Rhubarb Fruit Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2011
Rhubarb cooked with a little honey and orange liqueur makes a bright, tangy “sauce” to toss with grapes, melon, mango and strawberries.
- 3 cups thinly sliced fresh rhubarb
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 1 1/2 cups halved red or green grapes
- 1 1/2 cups small honeydew or cantaloupe melon balls or pieces
- 1 1/2 cups diced mango or strawberries
- Bring rhubarb, honey and Grand Marnier (or Cointreau) to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is just beginning to break down, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and refrigerate for about 15 minutes to cool.
- Stir grapes, melon and mango (or strawberries) into the rhubarb mixture. Serve or return to the refrigerator to chill further.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 90 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 278 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 2011