From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Choose the reddest rhubarb stalks you can find for this fool.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 2-inch-long strip lemon zest
- 2 1/4 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Tie cinnamon stick, cloves and lemon zest together in a cheesecloth bag. Combine rhubarb, sugar and the spice bag in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has the consistency of applesauce, 6 to 8 minutes. Discard the spice bag. Chill the rhubarb mixture about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, line a colander with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let it drain in the refrigerator until it measures 1 1/2 cups, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place the drained yogurt in a medium bowl. Add the rhubarb mixture and fold lightly, leaving some swirls. Whip cream in a chilled bowl and swirl it into the fool. Spoon into individual dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
Per serving: 246 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 52 mg sodium; 506 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (22% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994