From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Choose the reddest rhubarb stalks you can find for this fool.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 2-inch-long strip lemon zest
- 2 1/4 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Tie cinnamon stick, cloves and lemon zest together in a cheesecloth bag. Combine rhubarb, sugar and the spice bag in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has the consistency of applesauce, 6 to 8 minutes. Discard the spice bag. Chill the rhubarb mixture about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, line a colander with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let it drain in the refrigerator until it measures 1 1/2 cups, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place the drained yogurt in a medium bowl. Add the rhubarb mixture and fold lightly, leaving some swirls. Whip cream in a chilled bowl and swirl it into the fool. Spoon into individual dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
Per serving: 246 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 52 mg sodium; 506 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (22% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994