From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Choose the reddest rhubarb stalks you can find for this fool.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 2-inch-long strip lemon zest
- 2 1/4 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Tie cinnamon stick, cloves and lemon zest together in a cheesecloth bag. Combine rhubarb, sugar and the spice bag in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has the consistency of applesauce, 6 to 8 minutes. Discard the spice bag. Chill the rhubarb mixture about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, line a colander with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let it drain in the refrigerator until it measures 1 1/2 cups, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place the drained yogurt in a medium bowl. Add the rhubarb mixture and fold lightly, leaving some swirls. Whip cream in a chilled bowl and swirl it into the fool. Spoon into individual dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
Per serving: 246 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 52 mg sodium; 506 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (22% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994