From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Choose the reddest rhubarb stalks you can find for this fool.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 2-inch-long strip lemon zest
- 2 1/4 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Tie cinnamon stick, cloves and lemon zest together in a cheesecloth bag. Combine rhubarb, sugar and the spice bag in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has the consistency of applesauce, 6 to 8 minutes. Discard the spice bag. Chill the rhubarb mixture about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, line a colander with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let it drain in the refrigerator until it measures 1 1/2 cups, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place the drained yogurt in a medium bowl. Add the rhubarb mixture and fold lightly, leaving some swirls. Whip cream in a chilled bowl and swirl it into the fool. Spoon into individual dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
Per serving: 246 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 52 mg sodium; 506 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (22% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994