From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Choose the reddest rhubarb stalks you can find for this fool.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 2-inch-long strip lemon zest
- 2 1/4 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (8 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Tie cinnamon stick, cloves and lemon zest together in a cheesecloth bag. Combine rhubarb, sugar and the spice bag in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has the consistency of applesauce, 6 to 8 minutes. Discard the spice bag. Chill the rhubarb mixture about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, line a colander with cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt and let it drain in the refrigerator until it measures 1 1/2 cups, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place the drained yogurt in a medium bowl. Add the rhubarb mixture and fold lightly, leaving some swirls. Whip cream in a chilled bowl and swirl it into the fool. Spoon into individual dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 6 hours.
Per serving: 246 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 52 mg sodium; 506 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (22% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 nonfat milk, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994