Rhubarb Custard Pie
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
A creamy custard is the perfect foil for tangy rhubarb in this wonderful spring pie.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1-2 tablespoons ice water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- To make crust: Set oven rack at lowest level; preheat to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Stir together 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over low heat, swirling it in the pan until light brown, about 30 seconds. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in oil.
- Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the flour with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water so that the dough will hold together. Press the dough into a flattened disk.
- Place two sheets of plastic wrap overlapping by 2 inches on the work surface. Place pastry in the center and cover with two more overlapping sheets of plastic wrap. Roll the dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Remove the top sheets and invert the dough over the prepared pie plate. Carefully peel away the remaining plastic wrap. Fold the edges under at the rim and crimp. Chill the pastry while you prepare the filling.
- To make filling: Beat together 3/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon butter in a medium bowl until fluffy. Beat in egg, 2 egg whites, milk and vanilla until well blended. Toss rhubarb and 2 tablespoons flour in another bowl. Stir the rhubarb into the egg mixture. Turn the filling into the crust-lined pan, spreading evenly. Bake until the filling is firm, about 1 1/4 hours. Let cool to room temperature before adding meringue.
- To make meringue: Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 375°F. Beat 3 egg whites in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar and beat on high speed just until soft peaks form. While continuing to beat egg whites, gradually add 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until stiff and glossy.
- Spread the meringue over the pie filling, making sure that it touches the edge of the crust all the way around. Bake until the top is lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on a rack for 1 hour before serving.
Per serving: 303 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 34 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber; 87 mg sodium; 310 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (18% daily value), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)