From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Nothing says spring like rhubarb. Quick-to-prepare, single-serving fruit crisps like this one are an easy way to get dessert on the table anytime. When buying or picking rhubarb, select stalks that are firm and red—avoid ones that are soft and waggly. And if you slice it very thinly, there's no need to peel off any outer strings.
- 1 cup thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled apple
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, (not steel-cut or instant)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss rhubarb, apple, granulated sugar, tapioca and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Divide between two 10-ounce (1 1/4-cup) oven-safe ramekins or custard cups.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, pecans, butter, syrup, salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture.
- Bake until bubbling and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The topping (Step 3) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Two 10-ounce (1 1/4-cup) oven-safe ramekins or custard cups
Per serving: 259 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007