From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Nothing says spring like rhubarb. Quick-to-prepare, single-serving fruit crisps like this one are an easy way to get dessert on the table anytime. When buying or picking rhubarb, select stalks that are firm and red—avoid ones that are soft and waggly. And if you slice it very thinly, there's no need to peel off any outer strings.
- 1 cup thinly sliced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled apple
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, (not steel-cut or instant)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss rhubarb, apple, granulated sugar, tapioca and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl. Divide between two 10-ounce (1 1/4-cup) oven-safe ramekins or custard cups.
- Mix flour, oats, brown sugar, pecans, butter, syrup, salt and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl until crumbly. Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture.
- Bake until bubbling and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The topping (Step 3) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. | Equipment: Two 10-ounce (1 1/4-cup) oven-safe ramekins or custard cups
Per serving: 259 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 294 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrates, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007