This quick, zesty chutney complements almost any meat or poultry. Use fresh or frozen rhubarb.
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 3/4 cup diced red apple
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or cherries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, plus more to taste
- Combine rhubarb, apple, cranberries (or cherries), onion, water, honey, ginger, vinegar and crushed red pepper to taste in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until rhubarb is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes more. Serve warm or cold.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 35 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 56 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/3 fruit, 1/3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory