I had a lot of sauerkraut to use and this looked like it might be good. We were surprised, the kraut is barely noticeable and the flavor is grand. Also used my fermented pickles for topping. Instead of beef I used ground turkey and added about a tablespoon of worcestershire. There is a lot of loaf here and it's not a pretty loaf. There's no way it will fit in a regular size loaf pan. The person who made it into two loaves has the right idea. But we are always looking for gluten free recipes that make a lot of leftovers and this was perfect. It reheats well.
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
Inspired by the classic Reuben sandwich, this nontraditional, healthy Reuben meatloaf recipe includes sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, dill pickles and rye breadcrumbs.
3 Reviews for Reuben Meatloaf
My husband likes Reubens, and my daughters love pickles and sauerkraut, so I figured they'd love this recipe. I was right! It was one of the tastiest meatloaves I've ever made. I love the little bits of cheese, and I like how the cooking of the onion/carrot, even though it's an extra step and dirties another pan, gives it a mellower flavor.
I made the meatloaf into two separate loaves and froze one for later. One loaf (half the recipe) fed my family, with second helpings for the parents.
Made this last night, and other than it being a little bit crumbly (used loaf pan rather than free form) it was probably the tastiest meatloaf I've ever had. Instead of using 2 inch pieces of onion and carrots I used store-bought diced onions and bagged shredded carrots to cut down on prep time. I also used a low fat yogurt based thousand island dressing as my topping. Super yummy!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)