My husband and I just finished gobbling these up with the Jalepeno Lime Chicken (also on this site)! These refried beans are simply AWESOME!! They are time consuming to make & require some planning ahead, but let me tell you; these are totally worth it! Absolutely delicious! I cut the recipe by 1/4 for my husband and I. The only changes I made was that for the two of us, I used 1/2 a large onion, 4 garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, and 1 heaping tsp. of ground cumin. Oh, and 1/4 tsp. ancho chili powder and freshly ground pepper. I used 1 Tbsp. of dried cilantro for the fresh, too! The times listed to cook were right on for this smaller batch, so I think the full recipe might require additional time to cook. I sprinkled some fat-free cheddar cheese, 1 tsp. of fat-free sour cream and 1 heaping Tbsp. of salsa on top. Wonderful! We'll never eat canned or whole-fat refried beans again!!
Refried Black Beans
Refried beans are always fried in lard or bacon drippings in Mexico and the Southwest. In this recipe their flavor comes from the cumin and chili, which are sauteed with them, and from the garlic, onion and cilantro, which are simmered with them in the boiling water.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)