Reduced-Butter Pie Pastry
From EatingWell: Fall 2002
Let's face it: it's tough to make a great pie pastry without butter. However, it is possible to make a very fine pastry with a little less butter. The trick is first lubricating the flour with a little oil before adding the butter. By doing this, you can make a delicious, easy-to-roll pastry with 5 tablespoons butter instead of the more typical 8 tablespoons. This pastry works great for any fruit pie and for quiches as well. With the latter, you'll want to eliminate the sugar.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4-5 tablespoons ice-cold water
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor; pulse to mix. With the machine running, add oil in a thin stream; stop the machine when all the oil has been added. Scatter butter over the dry ingredients. Pulse 6 or 7 times, breaking the butter into small bits. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons water over the mixture. Pulse again until the pastry starts to resemble damp, clumpy sand; don't over-process. Press some of the pastry between your fingers: it should hold together easily. If it doesn't, add a little more water.
- Transfer the dough to your work surface and gather it together in a ball. Knead twice to distribute the butter. Place the dough on a large sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into a 3/4-inch-thick disk; pinch the edge together if it cracks. Wrap in the plastic and refrigerate for 45 to 60 minutes before rolling.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 17 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Fall 2002