Reduced-Butter Pie Pastry
From EatingWell: Fall 2002
Let's face it: it's tough to make a great pie pastry without butter. However, it is possible to make a very fine pastry with a little less butter. The trick is first lubricating the flour with a little oil before adding the butter. By doing this, you can make a delicious, easy-to-roll pastry with 5 tablespoons butter instead of the more typical 8 tablespoons. This pastry works great for any fruit pie and for quiches as well. With the latter, you'll want to eliminate the sugar.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4-5 tablespoons ice-cold water
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor; pulse to mix. With the machine running, add oil in a thin stream; stop the machine when all the oil has been added. Scatter butter over the dry ingredients. Pulse 6 or 7 times, breaking the butter into small bits. Sprinkle 4 tablespoons water over the mixture. Pulse again until the pastry starts to resemble damp, clumpy sand; don't over-process. Press some of the pastry between your fingers: it should hold together easily. If it doesn't, add a little more water.
- Transfer the dough to your work surface and gather it together in a ball. Knead twice to distribute the butter. Place the dough on a large sheet of plastic wrap and flatten into a 3/4-inch-thick disk; pinch the edge together if it cracks. Wrap in the plastic and refrigerate for 45 to 60 minutes before rolling.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 49 mg sodium; 17 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Fall 2002