Red Wine Braised Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
Simple sautéed mushrooms are made sumptuous with the addition of red wine and rich mushroom or beef broth in this easy mushroom sauce recipe. Serve with steak or stir in a little sour cream and serve over egg noodles for a meat-free mushroom Stroganoff.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, quartered
- 3/4 cup mushroom broth or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add thyme, flour, salt and pepper and stir to coat. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add mushrooms, broth and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened and the mushrooms are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat before serving.
Per serving: 115 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 573 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2014