Red Wine Braised Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
Simple sautéed mushrooms are made sumptuous with the addition of red wine and rich mushroom or beef broth in this easy mushroom sauce recipe. Serve with steak or stir in a little sour cream and serve over egg noodles for a meat-free mushroom Stroganoff.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, quartered
- 3/4 cup mushroom broth or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add thyme, flour, salt and pepper and stir to coat. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add mushrooms, broth and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened and the mushrooms are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat before serving.
Per serving: 115 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 573 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2014