Red Wine Braised Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
Simple sautéed mushrooms are made sumptuous with the addition of red wine and rich mushroom or beef broth in this easy mushroom sauce recipe. Serve with steak or stir in a little sour cream and serve over egg noodles for a meat-free mushroom Stroganoff.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, quartered
- 3/4 cup mushroom broth or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add thyme, flour, salt and pepper and stir to coat. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add mushrooms, broth and wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened and the mushrooms are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; reheat before serving.
Per serving: 115 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 573 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014