Red Rice Salad with Peaches & Cucumber
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Sweet peaches or nectarines, lemon and a kiss of ginger and chile sparkle against chewy red rice in this rice salad recipe. Bhutanese red rice has a delicate flavor and cooks in 20 minutes. Look for it near other whole-grain rice in natural-foods stores. Can’t find Bhutanese rice? Use another red rice or brown rice and adjust the cooking time.
- 4 cups diced English cucumbers (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup Bhutanese red rice, rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 cups diced ripe but firm peaches or nectarines (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon minced seeded fresh serrano chile, or to taste
- 3 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
- Toss cucumber in a bowl with 3/4 teaspoon salt; let stand at room temperature for 1 hour. Rinse, then drain in a sieve, pressing to extract excess water.
- Meanwhile, combine water, rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. If there is any water remaining, drain the rice in a fine colander. Fluff with a fork and spread out on a baking sheet to cool.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, ginger and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl until well combined. Add the cucumber, the rice, peaches (or nectarines), sunflower seeds, mint and chile; mix well. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Just before serving, add arugula and toss again.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Finish with Step 4 just before serving.
- Tip: Toast nuts before using in a recipe for the best flavor. To toast whole nuts, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. To toast seeds, chopped, small or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 225 mg sodium; 360 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (18% daily value), Magnesium (15% dv), Potassium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- July/August 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)